- English: Recounts, Instructions and Adventure Stories. We have 3 books we will be studying across Autumn term; After The Fall by Dan Santat, Stone Age Boy by Satoshi Kitamura and The Snow Dragon by Vivian French.
- Maths: Place value, Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication and Division and times tables. In Year 3 children are required to learn their 3, 4 and 8 times tables as well as their 2, 5 and 10 times tables from Year 2. Children are tested weekly on their times tables and so they need to practice these as much as possible at home.
- RE: Good News.
- Science: Rocks and Fossils, Forces and Magnets.
- History: Stone Age to Iron Age.
- Art: Stone Age cave paintings.
- ICT: Online Safety.
- It is very important that your child reads at home as much as possible. The ‘Reading Record Diary’ needs to be signed by an adult at least 3 times a week. This is checked every Thursday and your child will receive a stamp in their diary and 3 Class Dojo points for having their diary signed each week.
- Spellings will usually be given out on a Monday and tested on a Friday.
- Homework will usually be given out on a Tuesday and will be due in the following Monday.
This week was National Poetry Week! We were extremely lucky and were visited by the poet Ian Bland who performed a selection of his own work, which all of the children thoroughly enjoyed! In Year 3 and 4, we had a workshop with Ian who helped us write our own kennings. Here is a sample of some of our work!
A Kenning for a Dragon
By Daniel and Elijah (Year 3)
A Kenning for my Rabbit
By Evie-Mae and Lacie (Year 3)
Welcome to Year 3!
Dear Parents and Carers,
Mr Waldron, Mrs Hamam and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to school and to Year 3! I am delighted to be teaching your children this year and I am looking forward to an exciting year of learning! We are lucky enough to have two teaching assistants working with us this year. Mr Waldron will be supporting us in the morning, while Mrs Hamam will be supporting us in an afternoon.
During the Autumn Term we are going to be learning about the following;
This year, Year 3 will have their P.E and Dance lessons on a Monday afternoon. Therefore, your child needs to have their full P.E kit in school throughout the week and it will be sent home at half-term. For Health and Safety reasons, if your child has pierced ears please ensure they take their earrings out on P.E days or cover them with tape. Mr Waldron has also asked for the children to bring trainers for outdoor P.E lessons this term. The children will not be able to participate in these lessons unless they have suitable outdoor footwear, so could you please ensure your child has these in school on a Monday.
It is important for your child’s well-being that he/she has access to fresh water throughout the day. Please make sure a clearly marked water bottle is provided, which will be taken home on a Friday and cleaned for the following week.
If you misplace homework throughout the week please inform us as soon as possible so that we can organise a replacement. Homework and spellings may be handed out on different days throughout the year depending on bank holidays/school holidays. We will endeavour to keep you updated with any changes to deadlines via our class noticeboard. Please check this regularly for any important notices.
If you have any concerns or questions please let us know and an appointment will be made as soon as possible. Mr Waldron will be available to answer any urgent questions or concerns you have in the morning, and Miss Connolly and Mrs Hamam will be available at the end of the school day.
Miss Connolly Mr Waldron and Mrs Hamam
(Class Teacher) (Teaching Assistants)
We had lovely weather and a lovely morning for our Key Stage 2 Sports Day!